Wednesday, July 8, 2015




On a quest for my daily dose of gossip, On July 2nd I routinely logged onto Necole Bitchie, but instead of the usual "Bitchie" post I'm accustomed to I was shocked with what I found instead.

"It's time for me to move on," titled a post written by Necole. For those of you unfamiliar with her, Necole Kane is a blogger and founder of the celebrity gossip site Necole Bitchie---on of the top urban blogs in the US.

But more than a gossip blogger, Necole is most commonly known for pioneering a new way of "gossip" in the urban community.  After launching in 2008, extremely conscious about her content,  Necole quickly soared to popularity by distinguishing her brand from the distorted, tactless content that characterized many urban blogs at the time.  Instead, Necole made it her priority "to uplift and support Hollywood heavyweights rather than degrade and humiliate them," (Via Hello Beautiful). By only posting content that had been fact checked and verified, regularly sharing inspirational stories, and implementing rules that ban cussing and crude comments, Necole redefined urban blogging. Her brand has become synonymous with words like integrity, perseverance, and feminism, and has earned her a reputation as one of the most trusted voices in the urban blogging community.

But After an incredible 7-year run, gaining access to exclusive interviews, winning awards, and transitioning into a trusted media personality Necole has decided to call it quits. "This is probably the most difficult thing I ever had to do," she writes,  "I am very saddened to announce that today is my last day as a celebrity gossip blogger." Epitomizing the word dignity, in her lengthy final post Necole express her desires to become more than "just a gossip blogger," and to detach her self from the infamous Bitchie name. "I think about how I want to be remembered and what I want my legacy to be," she says. 

It takes courage to walk away from a situation, career, relationship, place where you feel comfortable. Going from homeless to creating an influential brand Necole has created a successful career but, ultimately has decided to walk away after recognizing its not helping her live a purpose driven life.  

"I always felt that no matter how much positivity we promoted on the site, the salacious stories were always going to overshadow them.  The ‘Bitchie’ in the website name was always going to be counterproductive to the mission I had of being a source of inspiration, and launching a platform for women to tell their stories." Via Necole Bitchie


Have you ever made a decision to walk away from a situation because you were not fulfilled? Even though it may not have made sense at the time? Please share your stories!

 
Click Here To learn more about Necole Bitchie. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment